Travelling alone can be an amazing, soul-shaping experience – but it’s also nice to have company once in a while. If you’re travelling on your own, you’re actually in a fantastic position for making friends – without people to fall back on it’s much easier to push yourself out of your comfort zone and make the effort to meet new folks. There are lots of opportunities to make friends, you just have to make the most of the situations you’re in, and of course be as open and friendly as possible. The result is getting to share your memories and experiences, and building connections that can last for years to come.
- Stay in hostels. The absolute best way to meet people while travelling is to stay in a hostel. Here you’ll be in an environment with other people who are looking for a social experience, with common areas such as lounges, kitchens and game rooms where you can strike up a conversation. You’ll find people from all over the world, and can organise activities and outings together. It’s the perfect environment for mingling, and many hostels also have single rooms that you can stay in if you prefer your privacy but still want to enjoy communal areas.
- Sign up for a class or group. If you have a bit of time in your location (or even for just a day class), joining a local meet up group or looking for local cultural lessons are great ways to meet new people. You’ll have a reason to chat and help each other, and in particular you’ll be able to get to talk to locals. A good place to look for groups such like this is on university notice boards.
- Hit the local bars and pubs. Most people going out to a bar or pub are looking to socialise and chat. It can be a bit awkward at first, but even just grabbing a drink can invite people to talk to you. Even better if you can find somewhere with a quiz or games night, or with pool tables where you can join in.
- Join group tours. You can join a group tour for either a long trip or a short activity, depending on how much independence you want. Joining a group for an activity such as rafting, rock climbing or touring a building puts you into company with a lot of like-minded individuals.
- Tips for making friends while travelling solo
- 17 ways to not feel lonely when travelling alone
- How to make friends while travelling alone – for women
Making friends while travelling is a great opportunity and can add to your good memories and experiences.